Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Program - Enhanced Stream
Building on the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Program - Core Stream, the Enhanced Stream focuses on the nursing scope of practice related to assessment and pharmacology.
The Fundamentals Enhanced is a 2-week, blended learning program that includes: independent reading, e-learning modules, in-person small group coaching and reflective activities.
In order to participate in the Enhanced stream of the Fundamentals program, the learner must:
- Be a Nurse Practitioner (NP), Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
- Have successfully completed the Core stream of the Fundamentals program
Completion of the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Program - Core Stream
- Attendance at a 90-minute, small group coaching session
- Self-directed reading of the Program Guide
- 2 e-learning modules
- Reflective activities
Following the completion of this course, the learner will:
- Use reliable, validated tools such as PPSv2, ESAS-r and the OPQRSTUV to complete a comprehensive assessment.
- Enhance communication with the person, family and care team related to goals of care
- Understand important pharmacological principles, concepts and terms including pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, formulations, routes, titration and rotation
- Apply critical thinking skills to all pharmacological decisions